- Laboratory diagnosis of Rabies – animal/human
- Rabies management advisory clinic
- from 8 am – 4 pm on weekdays
- from 8-12 noon during weekends & public holidays
- Tel 0112-693532-34 Ext 117
- Rabies neutralizing anti body detection – weekly
- Rabies real time PCR(RT_PCR)- weekly
Details of Services…
Services offered by the Dept of rabies diagnosis and research – It is the National Reference Laboratory for rabies diagnosis in Sri Lanka.
• Human rabies diagnosis – ante mortem & postmortem
• Rabies diagnosis in animals – postmortem
• Quality assurance of decentralized rabies diagnostic laboratories
• Assessment of rabies antibodies in serum and CSF in humans as a special test
• Immunogenicity studies & rabies related research
• Rabies post exposure specialized advice clinic
• Teaching & training – medical (under graduate & post graduate) & paramedical staff
Services offered by Dept of vaccine quality control – It is the National Control Laboratory (NCL) for vaccines and sera for human use in Sri Lanka.
• Technical evaluation of all human vaccines for the drug regulatory authority before
• Lot release of government procured vaccines
• Quality testing of vaccines – Pre registration, newly registered vaccines, following
AEFI reporting, cold chain break down etc.
• Production of pharmaceuticals for laboratory use
• Specialized advice on vaccine related issues
• Teaching & training – undergraduate and post graduate medical officers and
paramedical staff in vaccinology
Type and number of laboratories
|Rabies-Rabies diagnostic laboratory||Direct smear test for Negri bodies & Direct fluorescent antibody test (FAT) done routinely|
|Immunochromatography strip test, RT-PCR & Mouse inoculation test (MIT) available|
Vaccine QC – Two laboratories
- vaccine quality testing Lab
- Tissue culture lab
Laboratory for preparation of pharmaceuticals – Pyrogen free distilled water,
Sodium citrate, Normal saline for lab use.