General Rules and Regulations
In order to maintain a safe and welcoming environment for reading, learning and other Library activities, The New York Public Library requires all visitors to comply with the following General Rules and Regulations:
LIBRARY RULES AND REGULATIONS: Medical Research Institute Sri Lanka
1. The Library shall remain open from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday. There will be a lunch hour from 12 noon to 1 pm and the library will be closed until another librarian is appointed.
2. Each user is allowed a maximum of 2 lending books at a time for a period of 14 days. A book can be reissued once provided there is no reservation against it.
3. Consultants and unit heads can keep maximum of three books for six months if there is no reservation against those. They have to return the particular book once the librarian informed them within three days or renew every six months.
4. Books lost, torn or damaged will have to be either replaced by the borrower with the latest edition of the book or an amount determined by the Librarian may be paid as compensation.
5. Failure to return borrowed books on time will attract a penalty of Rs. 20 per day irrespective of the reason for the delay.
6. From ‘Overnight Reference Section’ one book per user may be issued any day after 3.30 pm and the book has to be returned by 10 am on the following day.
7. One book per user may be issued from the ‘Overnight Reference Section’ after 3:30 pm on Friday and must be returned by 10:00 am the coming Monday. Delay in returning these books from the ‘Overnight Reference Section’ will lead to a fine of Rs. 100 per day.
8. Library Newspapers, Magazines or Journals can neither be issued nor can they be taken out of the library.
9. Non-payment of overdue charges may lead to strict action including but not limited to withholding of Salary once it is inquired and decided by the authority, de-listing from placements, and cancellation of library membership.
10. Attempting to carry out non-issued library material will lead to equally strict action.
11. Silence has to be maintained in the library. Distraction by any mobile device in any way is prohibited.
12. Eatables or drinks are not allowed inside the library. Carrying personal bags into the library is not allowed however laptops are permitted provided they do not disturb others in any way and speakers should be muted.
13. Workspace should be cleaned up before leaving: push the chairs in and don’t leave any mess on the tables.
14. Each member is responsible for the Library card issued to them. The card can only be used by the authorized person to whom it is issued.
15. Loss of Library cards must be notified to the Librarian in writing. Upon approval replacement cards may be issued on payment Rs. 250.
16. After completion of the program/ due training/attachment, users will have to obtain a “No Dues “certificate from the Librarian and surrender their Library card.
17. Library property, desks, chairs, computers, etc., should be respected and protect.
18. Readers are not allowed to write on, underline, mark, and highlight or cut out text from any library materials.
19. The library rules and regulations may be modified as per discretion of the management and shall be binding on all.
20. Users will not be allowed to borrow any library material if he/she owe Rs 100.00 or more in fines, or he/she has 3 items checked out in his/her name.
The following are NOT allowed at The MRI Medical Library:
- Engaging in conduct that disrupts or interferes with normal operation of the Library, or that disturbs staff or other Library visitors. Such conduct includes:
– Harassing or threatening behavior.
– Using obscene or abusive language or gestures.
– Making unreasonable noise, including loud talking on a cell phone or otherwise.
- Engaging in sexual conduct or lewd behavior.
- Having a knife, gun, or any other weapon.
- Eating or drinking except in designated areas.
- Using alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Sleeping in the Library .
- Soliciting, petitioning, or canvassing.
- Selling any goods or services.
- Bringing in an animal, unless it is assisting a person with a disability.
- Damaging, defacing, or misusing any Library materials or property. This includes disabling Library equipment, changing the hardware or software or settings on a Library computer, or using a Library computer for a purpose other than that designated by the Library.
- Engaging in any activity in violation of federal, state, local, or other applicable law or Library policies.
Please also be aware that:
- The Library is not responsible for personal items that are lost, stolen, or damaged on Library premises.
- Visitors are not permitted to bring any large bags, bags with wheels, or shopping carts into the Library.
- Library security and staff can inspect any of your property when you come in or leave.
- You must wear proper clothing and shoes in the Library, and your body odor must not be so offensive that it disturbs others.
- Some items in the Library cannot be copied because of copyright laws, poor condition, or donor restrictions.
- Library staff and security officers can ask visitors to show their Library cards or other ID at any time.
- Large groups that want to visit the Library have to get permission before they visit.
- Photography and recording are not allowed on Library premises without prior permission.
- Certain reading rooms and other Library spaces have additional restrictions.
Visitors who do not follow the Library’s General Rules and Regulations can be asked to leave and can lose their Library privileges. They can also be arrested or be subject to other legal action.